The examinee must present either a valid, government-issued passport or two forms of non-expired, signature-bearing ID, one with a photo, in order to test. Supporting IDs include state driver's license (photo and non-photo), National Country ID card, Military ID, Employee ID, Credit Card, ATM card.
Please note that Student ID and Social Security Cards are unacceptable for verification.
The CMA (Certified Management Accountant) or ICMA is the advanced professional certification that measures your accounting and financial management skills.
The ICMA program focuses the content on the critical skills of financial planning, analysis, control, and decision support. Its primary market consists of accountants and financial professionals.
|Preparing to take the exam
When you are ready to take an exam, please follow these steps.
Registering for an Exam
- Join IMA and submit the Certification Entrance Fee if you have not already done so.
- File an Exam Registration Form selecting the exam(s) you wish to take and paying the indicated fees approximately six weeks before you wish to take the exam.
- Receive a Registration acknowledgement providing your authorization number(s), authorization window(s)*, and the Instructions for Candidates.
- Schedule your exam appointment(s) with Prometric.
- Appear for your scheduled appointment(s) with the required identification documents (Instructions for Candidates).
You can register for an exam through the following four ways:
Note: You must be a member of IMA and have paid the entrance fee to be eligible for the CMA program.
- Calling 800-638-4427. Have your credit card available.
- Filling out an on-line registration at www.imanet.org/certification using a credit card.
- Mailing a registration form with credit card information or a check payable in U.S. funds. Mailing address is 10 Paragon Dr., Montvale, NJ 07645.
- Faxing a registration form to 201-474-1600 with credit card information.
Scheduling an Appointment for an Exam
Once you have received authorization from ICMA, you can schedule your appointment www.prometric.com/ICMA to locate a testing center, schedule, confirm, reschedule, or cancel your appointment 24 hours, 7 days a week. You should schedule your appointment at least four weeks prior to your desired appointment date.
The exam is offered according to the following schedule:
January and February: Parts 1, 2, and 3
March: No exam parts offered
April: Part 4 only
May and June: Parts 1, 2, and 3
July: No exam parts offered
August: Part 4 only
September and October: Parts 1, 2, and 3
November: No exam parts offered
December: Part 4 only
To be certified as a CMA, candidates must fulfill the education requirement using the following criteria. Verification of one of the following must be presented to complete
the education requirement:
• Bachelors Degree, in any area, from an accredited college or university. A partial listing of international institutions accepted without evaluation is available at www.imanet.org.
• Score in the 50th percentile or higher on either the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
• Professional qualification comparable to the CPA, CMA, or CFM.
Candidates for the CMA Certification must complete two continuous years of professional
experience in management accounting and/or financial management. This requirement may
be completed prior to or within seven years of passing the examination. Teachers can meet
this requirement if the majority of their course load is in accounting and corporate financial
management courses above the introductory level. Professional experience is expected to
be gained in full-time employment. However, continuous part-time positions of 20 hours per
week meeting the definition of qualified experience will count toward this requirement at a
rate of one year of experience for every two years of part-time employment.
|Examination Fees as of January 1, 2009
|Waiver Fee per part
|Certification Entrance Fee (The Entrance Fee expires in 4 years)
|Please note prices are for each exam part. - Fees Subject to Change. All fees are non-refundable.
**This is an all-inclusive fee that covers:
- Credential review for educational qualification
- Credential review for experience qualification
- Electronic access to the CMA Resource Guide to exam preparation
- Access to the Certification Listserv for peer-to-peer networking
- Final Score Report
- Personalized, numbered Certificate for office display
- Congratulatory notification to employer or others if desired
- Maintenance of continuing education records
- CMA Assessment Tool for six months
- Printable Q&A Electronic books
- Retired Questions
- Three Advanced Performance Reports for parts not passed
If you do not test in the assigned testing window for any active exam authorization, your exam fee will be forfeited. No extensions will be granted.
Certification entrance fees and waiver fees are NOT REFUNDABLE. After 30 days from the date of registration, examination fees are NOT REFUNDABLE. Within 30 days of the registration date, an examination fee may be refunded IF NO TEST APPOINTMENT HAS BEEN SET. A $25 processing fee will be subtracted from the refund.
Students/Academics - Eligible students/academics may take four examination parts at a discount of 50% from the regular fee. These discounts must be used within the year following application or they will be forfeited. To qualify for the student discount, you must be an IMA student member.
Cancellation/ Rescheduling of an Appointment:
If you find that, you are unable to keep a scheduled appointment at a Prometric Testing
Center, you must cancel no later than three business days before the appointment
(excluding Saturday and Sunday). To cancel an appointment, have your confirmation
number ready and visit www.prometric.com/ICMA.
Once you have cancelled an appointment, you must wait 72 hours before calling to reschedule. If you do not comply with this cancellation policy, you will be considered a “no-show” and you will need to reregister with ICMA and repay the examination fee.
Exam Retake Policy
An exam part may be taken no more than two times in a testing window and no more than three times in a twelve-month period. (E.g., Part 1 may only be taken twice within the January/February testing window). Part 4 of the exam may only be taken once during each testing window.
PLEASE NOTE: All exam retakes require a NEW REGISTRATION along with payment of appropriate fees. Candidates have four years in which to complete the required exams. The four-year time period begins with the date of first passed exam.
Upon completion of Parts 1, 2, and 3, your results will be displayed on the screen. Before leaving the Testing Center, you will receive a printed and embossed copy of your results. Part 4 results will be mailed approximately six weeks after the close of the testing window.
Exam Preparation and Study Resources
To become more familiar with the types of questions that may appear on the exam, view the CMA sample exam questions. In addition, consider purchasing the CMA Q&A publications. Each Q&A book includes 50 sample questions that model the actual exam; in fact, they are actually "retired" questions from the computer-based CMA exam.
The IMA Statement on Ethical Professional Practice communicates the values and ideology that guide each member's conduct in the workplace and throughout the examination process. The principles of the Statement are tested in the CMA exam, and candidates are responsible for learning the Statement contents.
|There are many ways to prepare for the CMA exam; you should select the method and materials that best match the way you like to study. The listings provided to the right have been prepared by ICMA from information supplied by the vendors offering preparation materials and courses. The ICMA is independent from all vendors and does not sponsor or endorse any of these private programs. For specific information on the course, contact the individual vendor.
For further information regarding ICMA (CMA), please visit www.prometric.com
Phone: 1-800-638-4427 or 201-573-9000
Prometric Registration Center Number: 00603376283333
Or contact USEFP Testing Department at the following email addresses: